What congress had done and what they plan to do?
Crores of Indians entrusted the Congress with the responsibility of taking India on the path of progress, first in 2004 and then in 2009. In the last ten years, India has moved forward and our endeavour has been to ensure that every Indian gets an opportunity to move forward.
What have we achieved in the last 10 years? (A few key points)
1. Brought 14 million Indians out of poverty.
2. Through the RTI and now the Lokpal, we gave Indians effective weapons in their fight against corruption
3. Three fold increase in country’s GDP
4. 7.5 per cent average annual economic growth in the last 10 years. This was just 5.9 per cent during the NDA
5. 2-fold increase in power generation capacity
6. Constructed 7-times more rural roads than NDA. 17,394 km of national highways constructed or reconstructed in the last 10 years.
7. 7 new IIMs, 9 IITs and 6 AIIMS set up over the last decade. All the NDA did was to convert the old Roorkee Engineering College into an IIT.
8. Close to 95 million people use mobile phones today. In 2004 this was only 3.36 million.
9. State of the art airports in Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bengaluru and other cities.
10. Metro Rail works in Delhi, Mumbai and almost every major city of India.
11. Increased India’s defence budget by 3 times. We honoured our brave and proud soldiers by providing them One Rank, One Pension.
12. Gave every child the Right to Education, Increased the education budget approximately 8 times, Appointed new teachers and set up new schools.
13. Ensured that no Indian goes to sleep on an empty stomach. Gave every citizen the Right to Food.
14. Increased the Minimum Support Price (MSP) for farmers by nearly three times.
15. Disbursed loans to the tune of Rs 4.70 lakh crore to SMEs to pursue their dreams.
16. Increased agricultural yield by 20 per cent on the same area of land.
17. Increased coal production by 53 per cent.
18. Developed rural India, which now has 25 per cent larger markets than urban India. Our villages are now the drivers of India’s economic growth.
19. Made India polio free. Fivefold increase in budget on healthcare services. Hospitals have reached the each and every village.
20. Given 50 million people the Right to Identity through the Aadhar Unique ID.
In the past 10 years, our country has developed in every field. The Congress led UPA Government’s policies have placed every Indian firmly on the path of progress. Now, let’s take this forward.
Our Roadmap is ready. (Few main points)
1. Return to 8 per cent growth rate and expedite India’s development.
2. Complete projects like Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor that will help in making India a Global Manufacturing hub and generate thousands of jobs for the youth as early as possible.
3. Take Industrial growth in the country to 10 per cent, enabling the manufacturing sector to contribute 25 per cent to the GDP.
4. Provide start-up loans to promote entrepreneurship and make starting new businesses easier. Enabling our youth to fulfil their dreams is our priority.
5. To make India a global IT superpower, we will invest 2 per cent of GDP in the IT Sector. Not just that, we will connect 2.5 million Gram Panchayats and cities with broadband services within 18 months.
6. Ensure that more and more government services are provided over the Internet.
7. Provide each and every Indian the Right to Health. We will spend 4 per cent of the GDP on healthcare. The people of India will live longer and healthier lives. We plan to create 60 million new jobs in the health sector by 2020.
8. Every district to have 5 state of the art Mobile Healthcare vans to ensure proper healthcare access to every citizen.
9. More all weather roads, more power plants, and better airports.
10. We will continue to build quality infrastructure across India, such as High Speed Trains in every city with a population of over one million.
11. Presently, 94 per cent of urban households have electricity while in rural India the figure is 67.3 per cent. In the next 5 years we want to connect all urban households with electricity connection and increase rural connectivity to 90 per cent.
12. Creating a comprehensive framework to eradicate corruption to ensure every Indian gets his right
13. 16 new, world-class manufacturing cities. Today 30 million Indians live in cities, this will double in the next 20-25 years. We will attach special focus on developing our cities.
14. We will not only equip our soldiers with modern weapons but also work towards strengthening indigenous production.
15. Provide training and employment opportunities to 10 million young Indians in the next 5 years. We will modernise ITIs and polytechnics to ensure proper training to our youth.
16 Open Higher Education to foreign investment so that every young person can get world class education in his own country
17. In the next 5 years, every Indian will have a bank account or an account at the post office.
18 Effective measures for the protection and empowerment of women, more participation in politics and economic development. 25 per cent women personnel in police stations across India.
19. Implement the Right to Food
20. Create 10 million new jobs within 100 days of assuming office.
In the last 10 years, the Congress-led UPA government has given a new dimension to India’s growth. More importantly we have included every one of the 120 crore Indians in our growth story. Progress has touched everyone’s life. It has touched your life
Before you vote, ask yourself one question: is your life better than it was earlier?
If you think your life has improved, place your confidence in us once again and contribute to India’s progress. Let us once again come together and leave no Indian behind.
Har Hath Shakti, Har Hath Tarakki!